PPI Local Production, August 2021 – August 2022
PRODUCER PRICE INDEX (2010=100) BY SECTOR (MSIC 2008)
- Producer Price Index (PPI) Local Production eased further to record 6.8 per cent in August 2022 as compared to 7.6 per cent in July 2022.
- The increase was attributed by Manufacturing index with 9.4 per cent (July 2022: 9.9%), followed by Mining index that increased 5.8 per cent, slower than 9.0 per cent posted in July 2022. Meanwhile, Agriculture, forestry & fishing index recorded a decrease of negative 10.6 per cent in August 2022 (July 2022: -10.3%).
- Water supply and Electricity & gas supply indices recorded an increase of 3.0 per cent and 0.9 per cent in August 2022, respectively.
- For a monthly comparison, PPI Local Production posted a decline for three consecutive months to record negative 0.2 per cent in August 2022 (July 2022: -2.3%). The decrease was due to Mining index that recorded a decline of negative 3.7 per cent (July 2022: -3.6%). In addition, Manufacturing index also posted a decrease of negative 0.1 per cent in August 2022. It recorded the first decline since September 2020 (-0.2%) after posting an increase for 22 consecutive months.
- On the other hand, Agriculture, forestry & fishing index increased 2.5 per cent (July 2022: -22.3%). For utility indices, Water supply and Electricity & gas supply indices recorded an increase of 0.8 per cent and 0.1 per cent, respectively.
- In terms of PPI Local Production by stage of processing, Crude materials for further processing index declined for the first time since January 2021 (-3.4%) with negative 0.5 per cent in August 2022. In addition, indices of Intermediate materials, supplies & components increased 11.3 per cent, followed by Finished goods with an incline of 2.9 per cent.
- For a monthly comparison, the index of Crude materials for further processing declined by negative 1.0 per cent, followed by Intermediate materials, supplies & components index (-0.1%). However, Finished goods index increased 0.3 per cent.
The full publication of the Producer Price Index Malaysia, August 2022 can be downloaded from eStatistik portal.
DEPARTMENT OF STATISTICS MALAYSIA
29th SEPTEMBER 2022
Public Relation Officer
Strategic Communication and International Division
Department of Statistics, Malaysia
Tel : +603-8885 7942
Fax : +603-8888 9248